Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Top Five Favorite Moves (For Kyree)

Compared to all the games that have come out between the era of the Playstation 2 and now, I haven’t played a damn thing, but you know what? I don’t care. I play what interests me and what will keep me occupied. And within that group are a few games that I absolutely enjoy, and to a deeper extent are moves and tactics that I have come to adore; moves that I use in games because they’re necessary, because I’ve earned the right to use them, or just because I feel like it or just want to stare at their sheer awesomeness. So right here in this article you’re going to read, imagine and watch five of the moves that I’ve grown to love…right after you click ‘continue.’




First up: Takedowns from Burnout 3.

You’re sitting there, finger mashed down on the [if you had a PS2] X button, just blazing and drifting through the city and out of nowhere this random A.I player gets all up on you trying to push you off to the side, screwing up your good mood and interrupting whatever background music is playing. Well you know what? F—k him!! See that pole/semi truck/convenient tree? SHOVE!
And then to make it even more awesome, the game slows down for a minute, points a finger at the dude you took out and goes “Daaaaaaaaamn.”

Heh, if memory serves me correctly, weren’t there Signature Takedowns?

Video below has no audio (not my fault!)




Ars Arcanum from Kingdom Hearts

Getting swarmed by enemies that have more health than you would like them to have? Boss giving you a hard time and you need a breather? Bust out Ars Arcanum and enjoy about 10 seconds of invincibility, ass kicking, and epicness. Upon choosing Ars Arcanum from your list of commands, Sora (the protagonist) would go into a fury, swinging around his Keyblade and completely destroy huge chunks of health from whatever poor soul happened to be around you at the time.

Best part? Even after the move ended you could continue it by timing you button presses with your command list as the move lit up (if that makes any sense).

I believe you get this move after beating Riku at Hollow Bastian the first or second time. Allow me to consult my strategy guide….
….nope, sorry, it’s after you beat Captain Hook in Neverland. My bad….anyway!

This move has saved me many a time against bosses in the game, ESPECIALLY against that prick Sephiroth.

Unfortunately I can’t find a video that best shows off the move. So you’ll just have to take my word for it.



Amaterasu’s Shield Counter leading into a Pile Driver from Okami

I love pile drivers. Especially when the user spins in the air while doing it, it just makes the move seem all the more awesome. Combined with the fact that a Wolf God is doing it and how can it not go right?

Ironic though, because I’ve only found one type of enemy in the entire game that I could actually do the pile driver on; and those were those giant demon wheel things, and even then you had to wait until they started rolling around the area at high speeds.
Regardless, it was always glorious when you timed your counter perfectly and watched as you K.O’Ed that S.O.B.

For me personally, it got to the point where I would just wait around on purpose so that I could do it.

Again, there’s no video that I could find showing the move. (I’m not making these moves up!)

And if you haven’t played/finished Okami…SHAME ON YOU AND YOUR SOUL.



Megiddo/Odyssey from Golden Sun: The Lost Age

Let’s start with Odyssey. What’s a giant sword? A claymore? Okay, well imagine stabbing two of those things into your enemy, then charging at him with a third right into the chest. Got that image in your head? Good. Now change those claymores to even bigger claymores made from pure energy, like about the size of a bed or so and the third being about the size of a car. That’s Odyssey.

Still having a hard time imagining it? Well here’s a video that I DID find.





See?
Now as for Megiddo…






Last on this list: Roy’s Counter Attack from Super Smash Bros. Melee (The better Smash Bros.)

I absolutely love this move. Not only is it nice to watch, it’s also powerful (depending on what you’re countering) and makes your opponent look like an idiot for basically hurting himself.

Falcon Punch? Pfft. Counter.

This move has saved my ass more times that the previously mention Ars Arcanum. Hell, Roy’s Counter would completely screw over Sora if the situation was right.

Only downside to the move is the timing. You have to be a goddamn Jedi or mind reader or just frickin lucky to get it to work to perfection. Otherwise you leave yourself wide open for a (goddammit) Falcon Punch.

Oh, I know the video below showing Roy’s Counter is more or less showing a glitch or something but it’s the best one I found to show off the move. Oh hey look: Roy and Captain Falcon.





Oh snap! Bonus Move! Army of One from Final Fantasy XIII

0 comments:

Post a Comment