Sunday, October 31, 2010

Do I REALLY want Goldeneye 007?

The iconic video game that everyone should know.
Here's something that I've really thinking about lately. Even though it's more of a confession, I never owned nor played this game. I know it's kind of shocking to hear, but I didn't know of this game and its addicting multiplayer, and I didn't even know this was based on a James Bond movie with the same name. I did, however, have an alternative (yet mediocre) James Bond game called The World Is Not Enough.

This wasn't the best in the Bond game canon, but hey, I was in my early ages.
Yes, this wasn't as ambitious or as deep in the multiplayer department as its predecessor. Yes, it didn't have the same level of complexity or unlockables in the singleplayer like it did in the first game. Hell, it wasn't even made by the same company like the original game (Rare made Goldeneye, EA Games made this one). But I'll let you know this. It didn't have to because I still liked it and was fun to play. Not to the same extent, but still fun otherwise. Here's a sample of some of the singleplayer missions (you really don't have to watch the whole thing, just watch a few minutes to get an idea of it):



Now, even though I never played Goldeneye, doesn't mean I don't know how it plays because from the look of it, The World Is Not Enough plays a little similar to Goldeneye (auto-aim, crouch/jump, strafe, etc.). I doubt there are major differences to the controls of each game, except the inventory of guns given in each.

The problem I have with it, though, is that the new Goldeneye for the Wii seems to just be a Call of Duty clone with the James Bond license just slapped on top of it. I started to notice this when I was watching IGN's Extra Life charity and miscellaneous videos on their site where they were playing the multiplayer of the game (shout out to IGN!).



Even though the video shows the use of the Wiimote-Nunchuck combo, doesn't it seem very reminiscent of a game akin to Modern Warfare? Especially with the fact that it has regenerating health? Since when did the old game have this?

Also, what is up with the fact that the singleplayer is being revamped? Many of the people I know that played the game didn't really think it was the best part of the original. Most of them don't even remember playing that portion. So why do the developers feel as though they needed to make it something to care about and remake it with Daniel Craig?

Yeah, we know he's the new Bond, but do we really even care for the cosmetic change?
That's the thing I think this remake is gonna fall victim to: players skipping the singleplayer. Just like the Modern Warfare games, I think people are going to overlook the singleplayer aspect of this package and go straight for the multiplayer component. Many people are buying this game mainly because of the nostalgia factor and relationship it plays to with the N64 classic, so who's to say the game's sales will be due to this philosophy?

I'm not saying that with the changes to the singleplayer and the multiplayer won't make for a good game on its own, but it's trying to emulate a past classic for a modern era. And that is probably the main reason for all of the changes made in every aspect of the new game. Unfortunately, I feel as though the company responsible for this title (evil and greedy Activision; lets not forget THEIR track record of game development) is trying to cash in on nostalgia and try to overthrow an old multiplayer king. Thing is, fans will try to link it to the original and fault it for not being the same as the game before it.

I have high expectations for this title and want it to succeed, but I also want it to resurrect some of the old staples that made the original Goldeneye so successful and give me a chance to play it in its former glory. That is possibly the source of my fear towards the game. I don't want to play a clone, I want to play a game that had the concept first.

0 comments:

Post a Comment