Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Written Reviews: Alan Wake - The Signal DLC



The Signal Dlc for Remedy’s psychological, fight the darkness with light, thriller, extends the deep, intriguing story of Alan Wake. Yours truly has played it, but is it worth the time or the possible $7 you have to spend on it? Read on to find out.


    I am also assuming that you’re finished the main game. If you haven’t, spoilers may or may not follow.

    The Signal DLC opens with a quick recap of the events of the previous game and brings you up to speed in case you forgot what you played. Afterwards, you wake up in the realm of the darkness and have to find your way out with the help of Thomas Zane, but Zane can’t get to you, so you have to get to him by following the GPS on the phone you are given (Hence the name: The Signal).
   

    Gameplay remains the same as what you’ve been used to: shine the possessed with your flashlight, and then take them out with whatever firearm you have. The difficulty seems to have been increased as well as the game throws more Taken at you more frequently than before; sometimes even sending two or three of the larger, lumberjack Taken in one encounter. The dlc also offers more collectibles and new achievements, which is a plus for me. Achievements feed my addiction for a higher Gamerscore.

    The atmosphere of the game is as great as ever, giving you that same feeling of loneliness and anxiety as you try to anticipate when the next group of Taken is going to appear. As well as the feeling of safety when you reach a checkpoint or are fortunate enough to find supplies, because flares and flash bangs are scarce this time around (use them wisely).
   

    But gameplay and atmosphere can’t save this dlc from still being rather short, not to say that having a short length is a bad thing, but myself personally, I was hoping for something a little longer given the wait between the release of the game and now. Add to that the fact that it’s $7 if you didn’t buy Alan Wake new and you may be on the side of skipping this, which is a shame because The Signal does extend the story of Alan Wake, and missing it may mean being confused when they next DLC hits. Although, to be fair, and this is just my opinion, The Signal doesn’t seem to answer any of the questions from before and instead raises new ones, and doesn’t answer all of them! And for a game like Alan Wake and for people like me: answers would be nice. Or maybe I’m just not smart enough to figure out what’s what. (But I’ve watched Lost so I think I know what I’m doing).

    At the end of the day though, if you’ve bought the game new go download this without question. It’s free. Free things are good. But if you’ve bought it used or borrowed it from someone. The choice is then up to you. Have $7 to spend? Do you like Alan Wake that much? Risk it and hope it drops later on?

    I don’t know if this helps of not but, I would’ve bought it if I hadn’t gotten it for free. Simply because I like Alan Wake and the story it tells and it has achievements.

0 comments:

Post a Comment